On this page, we have set out some introductory information for the public on our Association and on trusts generally. For more detailed information please contact any APRSF Member
What is a trust?
A trust is an ownership structure that allows assets to be held in the name of one person (the trustee) for the benefit of others (the beneficiaries). Trusts can offer big advantages compared to traditional inheritance because they enable you to make sure that your assets pass onwards to the right people. They can also offer you some protection of your assets from external attack. For more information on trusts generally please see our Trusts page.Find out more
Is a trust for me?
- Is someone in your family unable to manage their own affairs due to youth, intellectual impairment or addiction?
- Are you the director of a company? (There are many risks to your family assets if the business fails).
- Are you, or someone in your family at risk of future divorce, bankruptcy or litigation for some other reason?
- Are you part of a blended family? Do you have children from a previous relationship?
- Are you considering getting married? (A trust can be an alternative to a prenuptial agreement).
- Are you a business owner wondering who should run your business when you are no longer around to manage it?
- Do you have a family business?
- Would you like to use your wealth to support charitable causes?
If you answered YES to any of the questions above, we recommend seeking Trust advice.Get Trust Advice
Where to go for more information or help setting up your trust?
Many lawyers, notaries and others offer trust creation services. However, because trusts are still relatively new to the Czech Republic, it important to ensure that the person you are dealing with has the knowledge and experience to do the job properly.
Sadly, we have seen many trusts that established by inexperienced advisers which are defective or fail to properly meet the needs of their clients. The concept of a trust is simple, but the creation of robust trust is not.
View our members
That is why we always recommend using the services of a member of APRSF. Our members are experienced and knowledgeable and many of them are trust specialists. They can give you the information you need and answer your questions. They can also help you establish your trust. You can find an up to date list of our members below.
I need a trustee for my trust
Every trust needs at least one trustee, and for most people it is a good idea to have two, or even three trustees. With some very limited exceptions, Czech law requires that trustees are natural persons (not companies).
In many cases people use family members as trustees, or their friends or trusted professional advisers. However, if you are looking for an independent and experienced trustee, please refer to our list of accredited trustees, which you can find below.Accredited Trustees
What is APRSF?
The APRSF is a self-governing, voluntary, non-political and non-profit association founded for the purpose of supporting and developing trusts and the trust sector.
The APRSF also has an important role in shaping new legislation. We are an obligatory consultation body within the legislative procedure of the Ministry of Justice and Ministry of Finance.
We offer our members, and the wider public;
- Information, help and guidance,
- Exchange of views and experience,
- Briefings, workshops, conferences, and
- Seminars and training.
APRSF produces a public information brochure which you can download in electronic form via the link below.Download Brochure
This information is intended as a source of information only. You should not act based on this information without first obtaining professional advice which takes into account your specific objectives, financial situation, and needs. Copyright © 2019 APRSF